Friday, May 27, 2011

Colorful Summer Tray...for SUPER CHEAP!

Ok, so like most "crafters", I am in love with presentation. (Admit it....come on...do it.) I love making things look pretty, colorful, cool, different. I love taking the most unusual suspects, and repurposing them for good. :) Having said all of that...you now understand why it makes me so very happy to take a cheap glass candlestick, purchased from the Dollar Tree, and turn it into something I proudly display in my kitchen. This fun little tray took no time at all, and just about as much money to make. MY. KIND. OF. DEAL.
A couple of months ago, I was browsing Target, aka...my "go-to" store, and I ran across these plates in the new spring stuff. Now, you all know I am a sucker for color, and I knew right then that I totally NEEDED these plates. However, regardless of cute factor or cheap factor, (the plates were only a buck or two apiece.) my hubz would really not be pleased if I brought home an entire new set of unneeded plates. (He's becoming quite the minimalist.) Then after remembering this tray idea, I snagged one dinner plate, and one salad plate.
I was actually planning a trip to the Dollar Store to buy a couple of candle sticks, but while doing laundry in the basement I discovered an old box holding decor from my big 30th "Pink Party." I found candlesticks in the box! SCORE!
Pleased as punch, I sprayed a couple of coats of primer, then a couple of coats of my current favorite shade of blue, then topped it all off with a coat of shine sealant. I used E-6000 glue to adhere the plates to the candlestick, and let it sit overnight. That's it. SEE??? Super easy!
I really wanted to glue two candlesticks together between the plates, but my kitchen is running out of storage space. I wasn't quite sure where I would put it, being that height, so I stuck to one stick.
Didn't it turn out cute? I have been using it as a fruit tray on my kitchen table, and I cant wait to use it at my next party.


Hope everyone is having a relaxing weekend, and soaking up this beautiful weather!
~Tracy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snazzie! Love the.pretty colors! Your next batch of cookies or cupcakes will look REALLY SNAZZIE on. It!! INEEDA:)

erin said...

really cute. I love all these posts where people make their own tiered plates. I need to do it! :) Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...