Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pre-Patty's Day Thinking

First of all, let me say that it is really going to be no fun at all celebrating St. Patrick's Day without Andre. Ahh, boo. (Andre will be teaching tomorrow night.) The boys will be here, but they are kind of young to really have too much fun with it, or to appreciate the Irish dinner I am going to make. Then there's the whole thing where I don't even really want to cook just for myself, but I have to cause it's St. Patrick's Day, and what kind of Irish girl would I be if I didn't....yada yada yada. I have to make the most of this Day O' Green, don't I? After poking around the vast world of internet, I found a nice, easy, IRISH recipe that will be easily stored for Andre's return home. It's also considered "healthy." Perfect. Here we go...

Cheddar-Ale Soup
What could be more appropriate than cooking with beer on St. Patrick’s Day? This creamy cheese- and beer-lover's soup will have your taste buds dancing an Irish jig.

Serves: 6 (1-3/4 cups each)
Preparation time: 35 minutes

Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably ale
2 18-ounce bags precooked diced peeled potatoes
1 14-ounce can vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
2-1/2 cups nonfat or low-fat milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced or finely chopped

Preparation
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add beer; bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.

2. Add potatoes, broth and water; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and mash the potatoes with a potato masher to the desired consistency.

3. Whisk milk and flour and add to the soup. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 3 minutes.

4. Remove from the heat; stir in 1-1/4 cups cheese; keep stirring until melted.

5. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bell pepper.

Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts
Per serving:
395 calories
12 g fat (6 g sat, 1 g mono)
29 mg cholesterol
52 g carbohydrate
14 g protein
5 g fiber
387 mg sodium
274 mg potassium

Here are some other "healthy" St. Patrick's Day recipes if you are interested. Either way, have fun, and dance with many many leprechauns!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tracy,
Let me introduce myself. My name is Debbie Choate and I live in Lafayette, LA. I am a friend of Scott and Marci. My family and I attended Vermilion Tab when Scott was pastor. I am sure Andre remembers me. Anyway I wanted to tell you how much I love "Paper Wings" You are a very talented young lady! It is actually something I would enjoy doing. I guess teachers think alike. I am a retired teacher. I look forwward to all your ideas, recipes, crafts,etc. Keep up the great work!
Perhaps I'll get to meet you and your precious boys one day when you come to Abbeville. Tell Andre hi!.........Debbie Choate

Anonymous said...

hey Tracy, I know what you mean i don't get to cook my Irish meal because I am home alone and no one eats it.....I make Cornbeef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots....i've had since i was a kid and it is devine....too bad we didn't plan our day better we could have met up or something and had our own Irish dinner....Love you!

Tracy Crosby said...

Hey Debbie! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Please continue to do so. Andre says hello!!

Erika- WHy didnt we plan better? We gotta starting THINKING!

Jules said...

I'm going to try this soup recipe. Thanks for the taste at lunch. It was yummy!

Jules said...

I fixed the soup this weekend, and it was gone very quickly...enough said.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...